Digital literacy: What ?

 I can certainly relate to the scenario given to us: finding things is difficult and the topic seems incomprehensible. The enthusiasm has turned into confusion. I do not even seem to understand the topic (digital literacy) nor the connection to my teaching. I need to actually read the manual now.

After seeing David White's seminar, thoughts are starting to form up: where is the beef. How is this connected to my teaching. But also Resident - Visitor, interesting  !

Looking more D. White from the tube. Digital native vs older people. If you are born with it, you are digitally literate, right ? Or is it more about our motivation to engage ?

Somehow the connection between teaching and digital literacy is starting to emerge. More and more 'everything' is online. So perhaps it is important to understand, first, what is my digital literacy. 

On the other hand, and looking back, I have not really encountered that students would be much more 'digitally literate' than I am as a teacher.

Important topic: how can I help someone who is facing challenges in online learning. It has been shown that students like traditional lecturing but the learning outcome may not be as effective as in more active learning. Bringing all the bells and whistles into a lecture will increase the learning outcome ? Need to think more but goodbye for now.


 

Kommentit

  1. Hi Ossi, Thank you. I understand the confusion and in some ways, I feel the same way too. I actually feel that staying on the visitor end of the spectrum might be a good choice to make for many online applications. I have expressed some more related thoughts in my blog post, which you might find interesting: https://blogs.aalto.fi/nitinwilliams/2021/03/01/topic1/

    VastaaPoista
  2. Hi Ossi, I think that students are used to use digital tools for reading, watching videos, keeping contact with their friends etc, but there are few that are truly using them for other goals.

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Open learning

Open learning, part 2