Open learning

 It is about distress. I notice that the topics within the course are new to me and this leads to distress. My initial way of dealing with new, possibly difficult, topics is yes, distress. I feel that it is kind of strange that these topics are new to me, say open learning or digital literacy for that matter. It is strange because I have been teaching for more than 10 years. But better now than never. 

I is about confusion. This comes from the lack of clear structure. I am used to having courses or teaching courses which have lectures and then there are learning exercises that are completed mostly independently. Now lectures are no more. But we have instead a group of people discussing on a topic. Nobody says that you should now read this article or this book. For me this is equal to confusion: from very clear rules to large freedom with a lot of choices. 

It is about learning. I knew not even the word 'digital literacy' before. Now, yes, I think I have a clue of its meaning. Open learning. The scenario was better than the 1st one since now there are clear questions to be answered. However, learning new things requires time, and with all the 'things' I have in my daily work, meeting 3 times a week is a lot. But yes, it is about learning, and that is why it is so nice.


Kommentit

  1. I think this gives you a feeling of what it is like to be a student. Confusion is an essential part of the learning process and we believe that learning is about inquiry and collaboration rather than being served with a ready-made path. It is a bit messy at first but I hope you persevere and work with your colleagues to reach clarity. Good luck!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Thank you for highlighting how your emotions of frustration and confusion has played a part in this course for you. Indeed, evidence suggests that frustration and confusion can be a beneficial triggers for learning, if they can be ultimately resolved during the course of the learning process. I hope the PBL group discussions enable you to resolve muddy points and that you come to a shared understanding.

    VastaaPoista
  3. This is interesting :) I do feel confused at times as there is no a one way answer of 'right or wrong' in how we organize our work. One good strategy would be to keep communication open among group members. Open communication facilitates open learning. This ensures that we are on the same page and understood what we mention all together :) Slowly but surely, we will figure out with the group's synergy.

    VastaaPoista

Lähetä kommentti

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Digital literacy: What ?